There is no doubt about the fact that you will come across lots of options on YouTube once you like to perform workouts within your own residence at your convenient time. Dozens or even thousands of videos will be available to you in case you make a search for the type of workout you want to perform as well as the length. Nevertheless, although it is quite easy to find a workout on YouTube you need to be aware of the red flags regarding workout, the quality of the exercise, and also the tone of exercise messages.
In fact, no individual is going to check on your form and provide any specific solution for safety while you are following any at-home workout video. It is imperative for the individual who is leading the exercise to include workout modifications and you should also perform what feels appropriate for your body as well as fitness level. You might also search for exercises which consist of additional individuals in the video demonstrating the modifications.
The workout quality
It is possible for just about any individual to post a video on workouts on YouTube irrespective of whether he or she is qualified or not. Verify the channel information of the person who is posting the video. In case they are qualified, it is quite natural for them to display the information. Accreditations, like those from ACE, will make sure that the individual who is leading the class is competent enough for that particular certification. You might also visit the US Registry of Exercise Professionals in case you want to verify the credentials of the instructor in question.
The class design happens to be another surefire way of figuring out the quality of a particular workout. It is a standard practice for most of the workout classes to consist of a warm-up session, the main workout, cool down, as well as stretch. Nevertheless, it is usually for the videos on YouTube to get to the main workout directly without any other component or an abbreviated version of these components. Nevertheless, you will come across some simple fixes for this:
• In case there is no warm-up, make sure to pause the video and march in place for a song’s length (approximately 3 to 5 minutes). Bear in mind that the main objective of the warm-up will be to get the body prepared for a more intense activity to follow. Ensure that the warm-up helps to prepare you adequately for the main workout.
• It will be a good idea to restart the workout video for repeating the warm-up in case you feel that you are not prepared for the main workout following the warm-up. For instance, in case the warm-up is going to last for 30 seconds and the subsequent move happens to be burpees, make sure to pause the video and continue with the warm-up.
• It will be prudent to repeat several of the workouts in the main workout at a lower intensity in case there is no cool-down or you feel that your heart rate is quite high following the main workout. For instance, in case you had been lunging in the forward direction, sideways and back, those can be changed to toe taps forward, side, as well as back. It is important for the cool-down to mirror the warm-up and it should be of identical intensity as well as duration.
• In case there is no stretch component, take into consideration the muscles which have been worked in the video. Did you perform plenty of push-ups? In that case, stretch your chest. Did you perform plenty of squats? In that case, stretch the quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes.
Eventually, make it a point to listen to your system and go on moving even though the workout in the video isn’t working for you since it is excessively painful or complicated you can perform an exercise swap and continue the workout with your favorite move which is more enjoyable. One more red flag which one should look for happens to be the up/down/up/down movement in which case one will complete the workout standing while the heart rate becomes more, followed by a workout on the floor and then one more standing exercise.
It will be better to refrain from doing this kind of movement since going up and down again and again might result in dizziness. It is imperative for the workouts to move from down to up or up to down gradually throughout the entire length of the video.
Tone of exercise messages
It is essential to note the words of the instructor given that the individual leading the workout will be able to influence the video’s viewer. Is the person who is responsible for leading the video inspiring and motivating or is he or she body shaming? While moving your body, you ought to feel good, and therefore, if needed, go to another video.
Moreover, take into consideration product promotion. Lots of YouTubers obtain video sponsorships for promoting a product so as to generate income. Even though product promotion isn’t good or bad necessarily, it might influence the messages heard by you. For instance, one should not inform you that you require a particular product for performing a specific workout when it is not required.
Checklist for YouTube exercise videos to watch:
• Warm-up: Heart rate increases gradually
• Primary workout: Logical workout sequences: move from down to up or up to down gradually over the entire course of the video; enjoyable
• Cool-down: Heart rate decreases gradually
• Stretch: Muscles employed in the workouts will be stretched; motion range is addressed
• Instructor: Makes use of motivating language; offers workout modifications
Similar to real life, you will be able to connect with some YouTube instructors, and others you are not able to. Make a list of a number of videos you like to try – in case you are not able to connect with any video, there is another waiting for you and you will not waste your time in finding another video.
While it is ideal to work out with an exercise professional who is certified, being capable of identifying red flags while working out with YouTube at home can notify you when to click away.